Thursday, October 15, 2009

Cowboy Up

In college I had my own radio show, WKNH, the Sound Alternative. Was the News Director too -- actually pulled stories off the AP wire machine we had in the office. Every show I had a Random Play section, albums (yes, before CDs!) pulled randomly from the music library. Resurrecting that... sort of... I'll be doing an occassional bookshelf pull and musing on what I find... today, it's from Cowboy Ethics, What Wall Street Can Learn from the Code of the West, by James P. Owen. Interesting he first wrote the book in 2004 - -it's now in its 8th edition. Outstanding photography by David. R. Stoeckline (http://www.drsphoto.net/). Here's a quote to give you a sense of the book: " Let's face it -- these last few years haven't the easiest of times. But on days when things seem especially rough, I think about what it must have been like on the open range in the middle of a blizzard, and I tell myself, "Cowboy up."

Here's the code:

1. Live each day with courage.
2. Take pride in your work.
3. Always finish what you start.
4. Do what has to be done.
5. Be tough, but fair.
6. When you make a promise, keep it.
7. Ride for the brand.
8. Talk less and say more.
9. Remember that some things aren't for sale.
10. Know where to draw the line.

A favorite? Probably #8. What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment